Pages

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Greeting from Land Below the Wind

greeting from Borneo Island..
 
I was born and raised in North Borneo. Since small I'm very fascinated with our traditional costume and whatever related to my native. By the way, I'm Sino-Kadazan, a mix of Chinese and Kadazan or the local people. Both my parents are Sino-Kadazan too. Meaning, both my grandfather are from mainland China and they are married to the local Kadazan/Dusun girls.

I was raised in a Kadazan community but I barely speak the language neither any Chinese dialect. However, I do understood Kadazan. I grow up in a kampong (village) environment where we grew paddy as our economic activity. In May every year, the Kadazan/Dusun will celebrate Harvest Festival.

I dont really remember much when did I fall in-love with the cultural thing but I think it began when I join the traditional musical group when I was a little girl. I remembered I was the youngest in that group and my task is to start the music performance by banging two bamboos. The music instrument is call Togunggak. I will try to find a related photo later.

Basically, this blog is dedicated to my people in North Borneo. It is about our culture and our heritage. It is about my passion to transform our cultural heritage especially the crafts to become something that can be use everyday and not forgotten by the younger generation

No comments:

Post a Comment